Mulch over weed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gnyus, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Gnyus

Gnyus LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I have to lay mulch on a large area overtaken by weeds. Some weeds a getting pretty tall making it almost impossible to pull all of them out. Can I just overturn the soil and lay the mulch directly over it or should I use chemicals to ensure weed won't get through?

Thanks

2. turfsolutionsmfg

turfsolutionsmfg LawnSite Member

use chemicals!!! you may also want to put down landscape fabric or sell weed maintance with pre and post emergents.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Won't even begin to tell you how bad of an idea that is. Have you taken the time to identify each type of weed you're dealing with?

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Don't use chemicals or you may end up killing something you don't want to kill. I would till everything, rake it all out and then put on a think layer of mulch.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol, tree huggger..lol

use roundup first..
    any weeds that will regenerate from tubers will not be killed by tilling.. they will be propigated ( making lots of new weeds).. also any weed seeds that are dormant deep in the ground can be brought to the surface and germinate...

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Double ditto, this is the practice for me, just got to be careful when spraying, but if your licensed and knowledgeable then you should already know that.

7. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Definatly use a weed killer to get rid of the existing weeds. If there is no landscape fabric, apply it now. When we are installing new mulch in beds we usually put down a pre-emmergent herbicide to prevent any more weed growth and every spring we treat all the beds in our commercial accounts with a pre-emmergent to minimize our time being spent weeding throught the growing season. Just make sure you are licenced before you start applying chemicals to clients landscapes......Hope this helps......Have a great day!

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I thought landscape fabric is typically a "no no" with mulch......

Derek

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Treat with Roundup when weeds are actively growing. Wait 5 days then apply Preen and mulch. If weeds are dormant (ie winter) or growing slowy (ie summer) you may not get complete control. Definitely do not disturb the soil if at all possible. It will just stir up more weed seeds.

10. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am not a tree hugger by any means. I am studying currently to get my Master Pesticide Appilcators License. Just been finding out a lot of stuff that the back of a bottle of Round-up won't tell you.
    All has to do with opinions, I just wouldn't do it in case I wanted to ever wanted to plant there.
    good luck
    Dylan