1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Over?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mowman, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Landscape job lined up for spring, customer now has lava rock and wants concrete wall blocks installed and said to just through the mulch over the lava rock. Would this be alright to do or should the lava rock be removed from the beds? Need some advice as I've never worked with a redo, always started jobs out from scratch. Thanks for your input.

2. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

My instinct tells me to pull out the stone. If I were to think about leaving it I would check to see if there is any weed barrier fabric under the lava rock. If there is, I would pull out the stone and the fabric. Another factor is what is going into this bed? The stone may limit the growth of the plants.
  3. dj'slawnservice

dj'slawnservice LawnSite Member

In my opinion it should come out of there.......will the customer pay for this ?
  4. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

Pull the rock. Two factors: Point out to the customer that leaving it will look like garbage should he decide to wait too long for refresh of mulch and that planting/weeding will be rough.
    And, if it does look like trash due to neglect, with lava rock peeking through the mulch, guess whose name will be forever connected to cutting conrners, regardless of who really cut them?
  5. csrocky

csrocky LawnSite Member

I have had to remove rocks like these before. A skidsteer is the way to go if you can get at the rocks easily, and don't mind tearing up the place. One other suggestion is renting a RockVac to vacuum the rocks out.

Go to rockvac.com to see this thing work.

Good Luck!

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

How high is this concrete block wall going to be above the existing rock bed ?? Maybe you will have enough room to lay in a foot of top soil ontop of the rocks to cover them and create an adequate planting bed, ( the rock s may cause it to drain too quickly though ?? ) ( BUT also may be beneficial if along the foundatioon of the house ?? ) Maybe you can go up a row or two on the wall to acomodate this ?? Upsell ?? But will probaly be cheaper to pull the rocks out now ?? Can you use them elsewhere on the property.. ?? I think just putting muclch on top of the rocks will be useless, unless they will never plant anything there ???