1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch pathways

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by trying 2b organic, Feb 4, 2004.

1. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

i dont do much landscaping but have a customer asking about a shady path beside thier house where grass wont grow. I dont really want to do flagstone and they asked me about mulch. Can I use mulch for a farily busy path on hard compacted soil beside the house? ty very much for the help.
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt see a problem with it, I have several customers who have something like this. Are you planning on putting down something to hold the mulch or just putting it down? Some people use landscape ties and also pavers.
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you can do that. It will have to be refreshed often, but will work. How about pea or crushed brick? If they are willing those would work better.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We have installed several paths like this in wooded areas and backyards.Use an edging to retain the mulch, especially in areas where erosion/washout is a concern. We like to use these edgings : www.olyola.com
    Easy to layout / curve.. and pin in place
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

ive installed mulch walkways with great sucess. it looks different which is why i like it so much i guess.
  6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

ty very much, there is a woodland garden and under western red cedars on that side of the house which is why they thought mulch would look great. Now that i know it can work and how to make it work i will do it.