Mulch per yard speading price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mowingismylife, May 21, 2006.

1. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

I was just wondering about mulching prices and what everyone charges

mulch per yard spread (customer supplies mulch) price?

mulch per yard spread (you supply and haul mulch) price?

mulch per yard spread and cleaning out all flowerbeds and getting them ready for mulching price?

Also i was wondering to you guys that have your own bulk mulch and sale it and spead it also do you charge less when you sale it to a customer and then spead it for them also? Do they get a discount if they bought the mulch from you?

I have a customer that had 3 yards of mulch brought in by some mulch company and she said they would spead the 3 yards of mulch for $30 a yard. I live in the Dayton,Ohio area i thought that was way low but i was wondering was the price lower because they sold her the mulch or what?

thanks for any advice and info you guys can give it would be very helpful thanks.

2. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

standard bark mulch weeded+edged =$65 a yard mulch cost me 15? forgot from a mill
    red dye mulch and black mulch went up this year but depending on the job somewhere around 80-100$ a yard weeded+edged mulch cost me $25

these prices are for you standard maintained property there are many factors but that the jist of it

i dont usually deal with customers suppling the mulch and iven never got a call about delivering mulch

3. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

For cheap mulch, $42 a yard delivered plus $25 to put down, cost $17 a yard.

4. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

$60 a yard put down.....$45/per trip to deliver

5. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

Hey I'm here in north Dayton - just stay away from working for friends, family and acquaintances. I know it's bad for mowing, but with mulch nobody understands your labor costs. If you do get the money up front.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't spread other ppl's mulch but if they insist, it's $5 a barrow, takes too long to explain but yes, 5 dollars per heaping wheelbarrow.
    That way, however many yards they order and however many they get, it's $5 / barrow and it works out usually to 6 barrows /cube so $30 / cube and now it doesn't matter if they ordered 10 and somehow 12 ended up on their driveway to nobody's knowledge.

As for my own mulch, the cheapest is my cost 12.60, $45 / cube delivered and spread for orders 4+ cubes, slightly higher for 3 and 2 cubes, kinda high for 1.

For premium hardwood it's closer to $65 / cube, while for designer it's 70 / cube and 80 / cube hand-spread.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

$65.00-$85.00 per yard installed. If i need it delivered because of quanity, customer is chargered extra for the nursery to deliver it. That includes weeding and edgeing touch up. If a new edge needs to be cut from scratch, this is done by the hour.

If the customer provides the mulch, the price will vary by amount. I charge anywhere from $40.00 & up.

8. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

how thick are you spreading in a square yard?

9. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

thanks guys for you input. We have done a few mulching jobs not to many so i was trying to get a idea of what the pricing is like. In the few jobs we did we just did it by the job not per yard. But that seemed to work pretty good. We always spead it 2 inchs thick.

My price to spread mulch we try to get at least $45 per yard and to cleanout the flowerbeds etc we try to get $100 per yard.

10. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

60 per yard to spread...and edgeing is 80 cents per foot extra and weeding is 25 per hour extra as well.....We have found if you dont charge for weeding you can get stuck weeding for days before the beds are ready for the mulch!