Mulch plate or mulch kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" Tiger Cub with the Advantage Deck. A guy told me that it would mulch fine if I put mulching blades and a mulch plate on it. Is that true or do I need the mulch kit. I want to be able to switch back and forth between discharge and mulch easily. Will it work?

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would get the mulch kit before I would just put a plate to block the discharge shoot. Mulch kits use baffels to make each blade have their own chamber. If you use just a plate the grass will be thrown against the plate, leaving a trail of clippings. I eliminated using my mulch kit by using Meg Mo blades, my clippings are smaller than with the mulch kits JD sells.

3. Grass King

Grass King LawnSite Member

With Meg-Mo blades, do you have to plug the discharge shoot? Are can you discharge just like you do with the regular blades.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You don't plug the discharge with meg Mo blades. I would recomend a OCDC to help keep clippings out of flower beds though. Meg Mo blades throw the grass alot further than stock blades.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about the meg mow blades, but as stated before use the mulch kit, the plate covering the discharge chute just doesn't work...

6. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

what is this OCDC?

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Like DLCS said save the money for the mulch kit and invest in the MEG MO blades. You do need a opening cover for a round beds .

8. Grass King

Grass King LawnSite Member

Meg-Mo,

What does OCDC mean?

What would it cost me for a set of Meg-Mo for a Scag 61" Turf Tiger?

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

OCDC is the letters for an opening cover. There are 5 or so Co that make them. The MEG MO blades for your 61" scag would be $69.95 + $5.00 shipping each total $224.85 for the set. No more cleaning deck and no lumps or clumps on turf. We catch all clipping before now with MEG MO blades we do not catch any clipping at all. Sharpen blades about every 60 hr. mowing.

10. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I just have a 21 inch. If i mulch with meg -mo do i keep side plate on or use discharge shute? What about the discharge going into flower beds? sorry if i missed something, but why leave the discharge shute on if clippings are small and not visible.