1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch plate

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by naturescape, Nov 7, 2002.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

ExM, is there any chance you will be offering a discharge plate similar to the Director (by York) for the 48" TT?

Years ago I saw a Toro 37" that had a side discharge cover that would simply swing back and out of the way to open the chute, a good design I thought.

I'd like to be able to make a QUICK switch from mulching leaves to discharging. When leaves are on the wet side, the Micro-Mulch does not work well, and it takes a while to install and remove.

I want to block the discharge chute for the first pass over leaves, then quickly open up the chute for a second pass, that's the system that works best for me.

For now, I am using wingnuts to attach the mulch plate, still takes too long!
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post. While we don't currently offer this type of product I would like to talk to you in more detail regarding features you would like to see on such a product.

Please e-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com or call me at 800-667-5296 at your convenience.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Naturescape - I'm in the same situation with my 48 TT. Let me say that I love the mulch kit, but it doesn't suck up and mulch wet leaves very well (wouldn't really expect it to). It worked very well for me in summer and fall until the leaves really starting piling up.

I took my mulch kit off and put Gator's on. It's not that big of a deal to put on & take off the discharge blocking plate if you want to (4 bolts I think), but I've found it easier to just do the first pass with the bag on, just don't empty it. Once it fills, you're mulching.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I called York sheet metal yesterday and ordered just the plate for the Director. $25. Check the Director out at http://www.yorksheet.com/prod03.htm Should have it in a couple days. I will attach it to the TT with treaded rod through the mounting brackets, and use a discharge chute spring from a Snapper WB to keep it closed. When I need it open, I will do so with a bungee. I can't wait to see how this works out, and I'll post some mulching pics on the commercial forum when I do.
  5. unclepaul

unclepaul LawnSite Member

all my lazers have controlable sheilds its a must for production. I fab them myself so that they are easy to use. No more worry about what way the discharge is pointed. We have 4 positions closed, slightly open, normal and all the way up. If the is anything that put money in my pocket it would be this.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would second the requirement for a mulching system that could be quickly converted to discharge when needed, like the old toro 37" mower, except with Exmark's superior mulching quality. It would guarantee a lot of sales, I'd bet. Seems like it might be possible to work something out under the deck to do this using sliding baffles instead of removeable ones.