1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Plates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhsmith4, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jhsmith4

jhsmith4 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Any of you guys using the qwikchutes or Power Chute systems? If so, how do you like them and are they worth the $. I like the idea of being able to discharge the clippings or mulch. I'm using the factory mulch kit on my Super Z with a perm mounted blocker plate.
  2. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Keep in mind that these products are simply chute blockers. They are not mulch plates. They do not give you the option to mulch or not at the flick of a lever or button. They simply give you the option to not shoot the clipping out the side when passing a flower bed or walkway. There is no mulching going on.

To mulch you need a mulch kit, like you have now. The mulch kit encloses each blade in its own housing, and uses a mulch blade. The grass is cut and recut within the same blade housing until it is small enough to drop to the ground.

The chute blocker simply blocks the output of a discharge deck. All grass from the 3 blades still work to the right side of the deck as they always did, but they don't discharge, they drop in a line. It certainly has its uses, but it is not a mulch/discharge plate.