mulch price?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Dodgemania, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

How do I figure a mulch job? A ladys entire front house around 40' long by 5' wide. Equal 200 sq. feet. How do I convert into yard. I know the average going rate installed is 60 a yd. Give or take depending on type of mulch. They dump the mulch in my trailer by the yard so I figure it would be easier for bid if I knew cubic yards a customer had. I'm green as you can tell but the help would be appreciated!
  2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

1 yard dry at 2" covers 144 sq. ft
    1 yard dry at 3" covers 108 sq ft.
    1 yard dry at 4" covers 81 sq. ft.

Make sure to add an additional yard just to be on the safe side.
  4. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

Lawnkid is this what you think, or is this industry standard. Point blank where did you get this information, and how do you know the information is correct, is it by you testing this or is this what everybody goes by.
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it help if you think about how much a cubic yard actually is?

I'm amazed that people have to ask these questions, but I do believe it. They must be LA's.:D

A cubic yard is 3'x3'x3'. What's that equal?

27 cubic feet sound right?

So if you had an area that is 27 square feet, you could cover that with one cubic yard of mulch at a foot deep. 54 square feet could be covered by a cubic yard at 6" deep. See how it works?

It's not "industry standard", or what Lawnkid thinks. It's simple math.

6. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i have seen all over the place, here, on other sites, and quoted directly from the local mulch shops price sheet "1 cubic yard covers 100 sq. feet 2-3 inches deep" i take this to be one of the the industry standards. there is definitely one other popular method out there, and maybe another.

based on several mulching jobs that i have followed closely in the past month, i have discovered that we use 1 cubic yard for 125 sq. ft with a small fudge factor worked in. so i divide total square footage of beds by 125 instead of 100 to get cubic yards, and it works. i have actually gone out to a few jobs after completed and measured the depth. it was always 2-3 inches deep.
  8. gpriddy

gpriddy LawnSite Member
    from MD

As a former math teacher, I am amazed at people don't seem to get the simplest things.

Take that back, by now I will stop being amazed at people who don't get the simplest things.

AAAHHHH, now I feel better.

9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

What I don't understand is why so many people remulch beds at 2-3", more so at the 3" rate than 2". At that rate you are going to need to remove mulch in a couple years time. I usually go with 1-1.5", this way by next season there is no buildup of nondecompsoed mulch to deal with.
  10. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i make as much money on the job as i can. if my client wants to pay me to take up some mulch, and wants all new mulch, rather than paying less than half for a top coating then that is what we are going to do.

on the other hand, if i quote him a price for 7 yards, and only use 6 i am going to charge him for 6. i am not dishonest, but i do prefer to put in all new mulch, and that's what i try to sell.

gary, you are not speaking at a former math teachers convention. there is no need to be nasty. ridiculing people who are asking questions and who are involved in collaborative learning cannot be beneficial to the learning process. i would say that whatever school system got rid of you is better off.