mulch priceing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cleancut, Nov 19, 2000.

1. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I live in Tennesee. I was just wondering what the going rate is for delivering and installing hardwood mulch..Here it's sold by the average size bobcat scoop..It's nota full yard of mulch...Usually 2 scoops equal 1 yard of mulch.. thanks....Clean-Cut

2. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Prices really vary here (NC). I can get tandem dump truck delivered for about $250 and 18cu.yd. of mulch or more. Stop by nursery and get for $20 cuyd put in your truck. HOWEVER....any jobs over 4 cu.yds. I will now use a local mulch blower service. They deliver and put the mulch out for 24 to $26 a cuyd.. All I have to do is drink coffee and write check, than bill my customer with my mark-up.

3. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I wish we had someone that has a blower service- I'd make a killing around here

I get my mulch at 21 per yard and mark it up to $28 of the back.Plus labor
    If I give a bid to an already preped bed, I'll go $50 per yard-mulch and labor.
    I seem to do pretty good with that- I can lay 3-4 yards per hour easily
    This winter I'm thinking about building a mulch bin,
    I will then make alot more on mark-up- buy for 12 yard sell for $28. thats 16 per yard mark-up
    If I do a job with ten yards- I'll profit $160 from mark-up
    in about 4hrs.- That'll pay for 2 labors for the whole day-
    then you get all the profit from hourly wages

I live in a summer resort area- and demand is high for landscapers- the going rate might be different where you are

Any ?- sixpacbush@aol.com

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in TN also. You can email me if you like about the details.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We buy bulk light blend premium, retails for $25.99 our cost is $18.00 and only install mulch we dont drop and go. What we end up doing is charging $50.00per yard installed 2 employees can spread 2 yards an hour no problem and bobcat 2 yards in 20minutes. Our cost is $18.00per yard max. $8.00 1/2 hour labor to employee and to company $24.00 profit per yard, most of our condominiums take 15 to 45 yards which translates to a nice profit. Most we spread with the bobcats was 60yards in 5hrs with 4 employees I think we profited around $1200.00 after expenses.

6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies..When you refer to a yard of mulch is it really a full yard or just a bobcat scoop??just wondering...Alot of people around here thinks a yard of mulch is just a regular size bobcat bucket, which in reality is only about 1/2 a yard...I've been charging $35-$40 per bobcat scoop because that's the way it's sold..A scoop of mulch here is $12. Me and another guy can install 4 scoops an hour..So my profit is a little over $100 hr..Does that sound about right...???Clean-Cut

7. double e

double e LawnSite Member

We get a yard- 2 scoops from bobcat bucket
    One dealer gives me 3 scoops from a small Kobota tractor

If your getting $35 per scoop- I wouldn't ask to many questions- just keep doing it
    I get $28 per yard- 2 scoops

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

$50-$65 per yard installed. Price per yard is between $9.50 and $13.50 per yard.

If your charging only $35 your shooting yourself in the foot. $35 for install, minus $13 for the mulch and your at $22. Now say it takes you 1 hr to install the mulch and you had to take time to go get the mulch and after you finish you will take time to clean your truck or trailer up. And not to mention any hourly help you might have. Don't work for nothing. Your time is worth more than minimum wage.

9. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

65hoss,I'm getting $35-$40 per scoop and 2 scoops is equal to 1 yard..So I'm getting $70-$80 a yard. We can do 2 yards an hour..I was just wondering if I was in the same ballpark as everyone else..Clean-Cut

10. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We pay $18.00 a YARD for premium light blend and $19.00 a YARD For red ceder mulch (real red in color) We then charge customer $50.00 installed and this is a full yard of mulch. I belive our increase for 2001 will be $53.50 per yard. That $3.50 per yard adds up when we sometime spread over 200 yard a year.