mulch prices

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by john19, Mar 1, 2006.

1. john19

john19 LawnSite Member

I Am In The St. Louis Area And Would Like An Idea Of What People Are Charging For Delivery And Spreading A Yard Of Mulch. What Is Good Profit Per Yard.

2. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

OK, I am pretty new here too, so I will tell you what most everyone else will tell you. Do a search! Good luck, you should be able to find plenty of ideas from past postings.

3. Steve LawnWorks

Steve LawnWorks LawnSite Member

$40.00 / yard of mulch and $5 to 8 per bale of straw. mulch.com is a good sight for prices. Also you could call a local landscape company and act like a potential customer and the'll answer the question.:clapping:

4. Darr57

Darr57 LawnSite Member

I typically charge between $80 and $90 per yard installed.

5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

$80 a yd installed.

6. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

The price of mulch will vary between $10 and $25. Don't forget to add tax on top of the price.
    On average you can figure 1 yard per hour on installation. So use your hourly rate times the # of yards of mulch.
    Depending on the location I will charge 35-75 for delivery.

We also charge for edging of the beds separately.

What part of St. Louis are you from.

7. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

i get any where from $50 to $65 per yard spread depending on how far you have to move the mulch..

8. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I think 1hr per yard is a little much..Depending on what equipment you have and where the mulch has to go the time is of course going to vary. But if you were pitch forking it of a truck you could unload 3 yards in 15-20 minutes working at a good pace ..In all mulch is very light and easy to handle..

9. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

The one yard per hour would be for a pitchfork/wheelbarrow method. We generally use the true temper 8 cubic foot(2 wheel, yellow) wheelbarrows. It takes a little over 3 loads to make a yard, lets just say 4. This would give 15 minutes to load wheel unload and spread per wheelbarrow.(We generally spread after 3-4 loads)
    As far as the beds go they need to be accessible with the wheelbarrow and within 40-50 feet of the pile/truck, otherwise the time will increase dramatically.
    For example we have one group of condos that we have to unload the mulch by pitchfork because the bushes are too close together that one takes approx. 1hr 30 min per yard.

10. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

I can understand if a place has too much landscaping that it will maybe take you 1 hour per yard in the tough spots, but I charge extra for this- this is where the price per yard breaks down.

Otherwise you can spread at least 2 yards an hour solo at a moderate pace.