Mulch prices!!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rjh4758, Apr 4, 2010.

1. rjh4758

rjh4758 LawnSite Member

There is only one place locally that sells mulch around here. So I called to get a price and was told they only had red mulch and it was $60 a yard. I asked delivered and he said no delivery would be extra. Man I can buy baged for about $47 a yard in a half dozen or more differant types. That is just crazy. Anyone else paying insane mulch prices?

I guess I was spoiled when I lived in PA the place that made the mulch was only a few miles down the road from me so prices were good and if I bought bulk (100 yrds+ at a time) the prices wereeven better.

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Thats ridiculous. We are paying 39 for red hemlock.

3. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

Well i get black mulch for about 20 per yard, and red and brown for about 18. dont know about cedar.

4. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious since I've never bought buy the scoop (I'm a homeowner) and only bought by the bag....how much would a newer style F-150 hold in the bed with a 6.5' bed? Just so I can get an idea of pricing and know what to expect when I go to buy some.

5. nepatsfan

depends on where you get it. A yard of mulch is not like a gallon of milk. Some places will load 1 yard with a three yard bucket and just estimate. Other places will use a 1 yard bucket and bang it off. Other places will heap up a 1 yard bucket. 1 cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. If I went to my guy he would probably just load up the truck but that is more like two yards. I would say that one good yard should fill a good portion of the bed up.

6. mowyo

mowyo LawnSite Member

I've been buying black mulch by the truckload for several years for about $15 a yard.The guy sent me a letter warning of a price increase of 20%.Something about a renewable fuels program for scrap wood -he also has a big sawmill.More unintended consequences of our gov-ment watching out for us,I know we all feel much safer now.

7. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

Your truck would hold 1 scoop which is a yard +-. And that is pressing the issue. Bring a rake with you so you can rake the load even as possible. Looking at $18-$30 per scoop.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You could get 2 yards if you're lucky.

9. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Man, if I can fill up the bed and only pay $30 or so, I'd be happy. Those bags of mulch add up ($) really fast. There's a landscape place nearby. I'll see what they charge.

10. nepatsfan

There is over 60 cubic feet in a yard in South Carolina. I should by my mulch down there. JK.....they would pretty much fill up the bed up here for a yard. Thats what I mean by...its not like a gallon of milk.

As long as it isn't pine straw though. That stuff is ugly. I'm glad they don't sell that garbage up here.