1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch pricing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fishindude, Mar 10, 2006.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

I have a flower garden 15'X24' to mulch along with 5 medium trees to thow mulch around (3'X3'). I can get mulch for $18 for 1 yard. Any ideas on the pricing I should charge the client? There are a few weeds to take care of and there are maybe 6 small trees and shrubs in the garden. Not a hard task but a first for me. thanks
  2. wormburner

wormburner LawnSite Member

we charge $85 per yard of mulch delivered and spread.Hope that helps.
  3. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

Looks like your probably talking about 5-6 yards of mulch. In my market i can only get 45 to 55 per yard thats delivered and spread. It sounds like a lot of money until you start pushing a wheel barrel. If you can get 85 per thats even better! You can also call around and test the market in your area before giving your bid.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I get my mulch around $12.50 / yard, I could likely do that with 3 yards with a 1-2 inch thin spread at a cost of $45 / yard = $140

Want to play it safe, bid 175 and get 4 cubic yards.
    Tip: Spreading thin helps keep prices down while you still profit (low-balling without losing money).

To find better priced mulch, try asking for double-shredded fiber instead of (premium) hardwood.

Also, turf tamer is right, it sounds like good money but:
    1 hour spent picking it up / bringing it to customer's house +
    2-3 hours to spread =
    3-4 hours labor @ 175 - $50 (for mulch) = $125 for 3-4 hours.
    But, you're not using any gasoline-powered equipment, the barrow and rakes / pitchfork are (almost) maintenance free and cheap.
  5. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

what do you guys do if the customer asks how much does the mulch cost
  6. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I don't tell them price. I tell them my set rate per yard, say 75.00 per yard. If they complain, I tell them I have ins,taxes, overhead, licenses etc. to pay for.