Mulch Pricing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by miketull8, Apr 8, 2008.

1. miketull8

miketull8 LawnSite Member

Alright...I need some help. I am quoting a job that needs 23 yards of mulch...I can get the mulch for 22.00 per yard plus 45.00 for delivery....total of $551.00....how do you guys price this aspect of lawn care? Scratchin' my head here!! :dizzy:

2. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

Do you need to do edging as well? We typically charge around $75 per yard depending on what exactly needs to be done.

3. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Same prices as M&M.

4. miketull8

miketull8 LawnSite Member

no edging....actually, this is an existing bed that wraps around the house...just need to re-do it...customer doesn't want the old mulch removed, just add new....

5. MulchMan88

MulchMan88 LawnSite Member

I charge $45 a yard plus delivery for anything thats over 15 yards. I go to $50-55 for anything less than 15, depending on the job. I get my mulch for $19 a yard. This seems to be a solid going rate for my area.

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Around my area, if there is no clean up but I have to re edge, I get $100 per yard. I've been giving that price for a few years and nobody has squalked. Don't tell the customer $100 per yard and I'll put down so many yards, just price the job.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

How do you determine the tax on Mulch? I'm thinking it's different in each state.
    If you have to charge tax on it, how is that calculated? By the yard?

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Tax is calculated by the final price. If Im right sales tax in PA is 6%.

A $200.00 job would be $212.00.

Take the amount of the job and times it by 6%. Then add that # to the price.

$200.00 + $12.00 for sales tax = $212.00

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge by the yard ,most of us are between $70-$90 a yard installed. You puttin it down by yourself ? LOL

10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Days worth of work solo if its done right. Not to long.