Mulch Question, was I wrong?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TPnTX, May 23, 2005.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing a yard this weekend for a new customer. He's a home builder and this was one of his new houses for sale. He asked me to come and look at his house. His beds are getting some weeds.

So I go there and it's not so bad. I don't have the dimensions but its a good sized house with 6-7 foot beds across the front and partially down one side. It has various shrubs and plants nothing extensive and a few weeds.

He's got the non-float bark mulch that has faded and looks like crap. I told him what we should do is pull the weeds and then hit it with my cultivator 2-3 inches deep. I would then stay on top of it each week if he'd let me take over his weekly mowing. I quoted him $75.00 for the job to pull the few weeds and cultivate.

After I left I realized that I should have told him we need to put in more mulch periodically but I forgot.

So...damage control. What is a good way to handle this? I'll do the job like I told him. And I think because of the amount of bark mulch he has it will work and mix up good.

I don't want to do this guy wrong. He'll be a good cusotmer to have.

Should I go back and tell him we should re-think this and give him a quote on 2-3 inches of mulch?

2. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

You need to be smooth with this but you can fix it. When he gives you the ok on doing the job tell him you need to know if he wants bark mulch or something else and that once you know you can price that for him too.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

just tell him you forgot about the mulch,and give him a price including it this time.