Mulch Removal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ED'S LAWNCARE, May 24, 2006.

1. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to this site and would like to say thanks, I've learned so much. I wish I would have found lawnsite 3 years ago when I started. Here is my question I went to do a job bid today, for mulch install, and found the owner wants the old mulch removed. I've done a few much installs, but never had to remove.

The mulch is "cheap" contractor grade approx 4yds, around some shrubs easy to get to. I was going to charge $50 per yd removal plus $50 hauling. I have a dump trailer so unloading won't be difficult. I'd also like to note this will be solo. Any advice would be helpful.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds pretty good.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly? You do what you want, but if they insisted on having the old stuff removed...

You said it was easy to get to... You know how I learned to tell?
    Bring the wheelbarrow and the pitchfork and load a couple of barrows, that's how you can tell.
    Ooooo some hate me but more than once have I taken a 'sample' of the work just like that.
    Now if it was as easy as it looks, fine, no problem, otherwise I personally would not do it but that's just me.

I would hand-spread chestnut brown designer mulch on top real thin for about 80-90 dollars a cube... Since you're hand-spreading, one cube gives you about 250-300 square feet coverage, just remember to spread it paper thin and then there's no need to remove the old stuff. With designer mulch, it won't lighten in color.