mulch sales

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NLS, Jan 17, 2004.

1. NLS

NLS LawnSite Member

What would you say is a good markup percentage for bagged mulch? I am going to be selling mulch by the bag to different customers that want to do their own mulch. I am also going to be offering mulch sales and delivery. A lot of people I know enjoy doing their own mulch work but don't have a truck to pick it up in. I will buying my mulch for $2.79 a bag and Lowes charges $4.49 for the same size bag. So what you charge and how about delivery charges? Thank you for your information and help.

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

why not buy it in bulk? I would never buy it in the bag.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm primarily in the maintenance business, and I'd guess I am one of the few who also buys mulch in bags. It allows me to inventory the stuff in the back of my storage unit where I park my trailer. There is a Home Depot Landscape Supply store that sells a 3cf bag of Cypress Mulch for just under $3. It looks really good, kind of a reddish tint.

I will never again quote a firm price for mulch or bed clean up. Ate too many low margin jobs last summer. Now, I sell it by the actual number of cubic feet installed. I give estimates, but they are not binding. If I think the job will require 30 cubic feet, I give them an estimated range of 27 to 60 cubic feet. 10% below my real estimate and two times above it to protect myself. This helps me come in under estimate most of the time, which I've heard is a great way to increase referrals.

If a customer commits to having me mulch their beds once a year (or more), I retail it for $3 per cubic foot ($81/cu yd). But if the beds are weedy, I charge an additional amount for bed cleanup, typically another $1.50 to $2.50 per cubic foot ($148.50/cu yd). Only if the beds are predominantly weed free is the price $3 per cubic foot.

If a customer just wants a one time mulching, and they aren't willing to commit to future mulchings, the price is $3.75 per cubic foot, plus celan up fees.

I think it's worth noting that if I didn't have an applicator's license, there is no way in the world I could clean out weedy beds (especially with bermuda) for an additional $1.50 to $2.50 per cubic foot. If you don't have a license and you plan to pull the weeds, especially if there's bermuda, you'd better be prepared to quote figures north of $10/cf of mulch installed. If you've got any experience pulling bermuda roots out of Texas clay soils, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. And with bermuda, if you don't get the roots (which may not even be possible via pulling) you'll have the stuff all over that new mulch within 4 weeks...as well as an angry customer.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. DIRTRACING20

DIRTRACING20 LawnSite Member

I WAS WANTING TO KNOW HOW THICK WOULD YOU LAYER A FLOWER BED WITH MULCH. WHAT I'M ASKING IS WHAT LOOKS THE BEST IN THE THICKNES OF THE MULCH THANKS

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

upwards of 3 inches at the least to gain a really good look.

7. DIRTRACING20

THANKS WOODY82986

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Woody,

Are you Woody's Lawn & Landscape in Lewisville?

9. DIRTRACING20

could some one tell me the best way to price spreading the mulch thanks