1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch shortage??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Marek, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a letter today from my supplier, seems as though there may be a mulch shortage this year in the mid atlantic. Clearing is down so there arent as many gindings. Is anyone else hearing this in thier area? You guys might want to raise your prices as I think towards the later part of spring the prices are going to go up.
  2. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We were experiencing this last year already. It is a function of the energy situation. Some mulch is being used as fuel, and other material is being used for cellulosic ethanol. Same thing is happening to grass seed as more land gets shifted to corn and wheat due to higher prices, not as much land is left in grass seed production. Thus we not only are paying more at the pump, but at a lot of other places as well.

Austreim Landscaping
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty soon the hippie vegetarians will be for nuke plants once bean sprout prices hit the roof! I'm only half kidding.