Mulch Shortage

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnmower man1, May 2, 2010.

1. lawnmower man1

lawnmower man1 LawnSite Member

Here in Knoxville, TN we are seeing a mulch shortage. The whole sale supplier says it is due to to the government allowing some company to buy all the bark and burn it instead of selling it to the mulch suppliers which has caused a shortage of black, and brown hardwood mulch. Also when they do receive more bark to sale he said the price is going to shoot up to double the price now or more. Are there other areas seeing this happen? What can we do about this?

2. minix

minix LawnSite Senior Member

Ground pallet mulch in black and brown ????

3. lawnmower man1

Ground bark hardwood mulch black and brown.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

we have plenty here. i hope nothing like that will happen to this area

5. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I wish we could buy it in my area for what some of you can buy it for.The cheapest I can get it for is $28-$30/yd and that is from a place that actually grinds it.I do not know how some are buying it for as low as $16.50/yd.We always get alot of tree damage here from storms so there is alot of mulch in my area.

6. DKJLawnCare

DKJLawnCare LawnSite Member

Drive a little north. There is PLENTY of BLACK, BROWN and RED here in Clinton, and Lafollette

7. lawnmower man1

Is it good quality I bought some Saturday from a place in that area and was nasty the dye was running off as we put it down just not the quality I usually buy. I actually took it back and they give me refund.

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

The government allowed some company to buy it and burn it? Sounds like some conspiracy theory to me!

Really, if some company wanted to buy it and burn it, they may not need government approval. If their buying it, its their bark, but why would someone want to do that?

I think your mulch dealer fed you a line of BS. Theres plenty of mulch here too.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we have had suppliers be slow starting up this year as a result of all the snow in the winter time. but still plenty O mulch...just not as dark as it usually is...

10. lawnmower man1

I don't think so this is a large supplier not a little nursery there is usually thousands of yards of mulch on this yard and the last 2 times I had been there litteraly 20 to 30 brown and about 20 black and that was already promised to a nursery. My company has purchased well over 500cuys this spring This supplier supplies most of the nurseries in east TN. He had even give me a paper to read and a website to go to and complain. I think this is the real deal I have heard this from others also. When I find the paper I'll post it.