Mulch, Side Discharge, or Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TimberlandGrounds, Jul 25, 2003.

1. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

Need some thoughts here. What does everyone recommend / currently do? Mulch, Side Discharge, or Vac?

Advantages / Disadvantages?

If you Vac a residential customer, do you charge more?

I am currently in the market for a new Exmark, and I am thinking if I need the Vac system or not. From what I have read, sounds like the Vac systems works really well for leaves.

When your doing a fall lawn cut and there are leaves, do you charge extra?

Thanks

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get The Bagger You Will Use It Spring and Fall. Yes Charge More For Fall Cuts With Leaves. It Up To You and The Customer About Bagging Or Not But Charge More for Bagging. John

avitarlazer.jpg

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I would think that any machine that collects the clippings can be converted to discharge or mulch.

Leaves are extra work............right?
    Extra waste to.....................right?

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you will need the vac later on

5. John Gamba

from ct

I Did A Good Size Lawn Today. I Cut It First It Had some Clumps It Still Was Wet On One side. I Then Put the Bagger Blower On And Bagged It, It Looked great! If I Didn't Have The Bagger the Lawn Would Have had A Little Bit Of Grass On It Or real Small Clumps.
    John

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with John, I bought the ultra vac just for fall cleanups. But I use it on pretty much all my accounts.

Just makes the lawns look awsome:D

000_0030p.jpg

7. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

hey now mark taking pics of my accounts again are we? haha lol nice work dude... im getting there... im just not THAt straight yet , still gotta little practice. i only have 40 hrs on a z lol

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I mulch, dishcarge and bag. Depends on the time of year mostlly. I've been discharging and bagging as necessary all season and just put the mulching kit on my Lazer HP last weekend...seems a little premature because I'm having to double cut with it. I was double cutting a lot before, but at least now after 2 cuts, there's no clippings left at all. I've got some accounts with leaves coming down already and was starting to have to bag more than I like to.

I'll leave my Turf Tracer is discharge/bag mode until fall. Hopefully I'll have a vac unit for the Lazer by fall and will then switch it to mulching.

As for the 21 incher, it's either mulch or bag with that one...seems I never discharge with it.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch, when you've finished mowing, you're done, lawns look great.
    If anyone cares, there are numerous reasons to leave clippings, environmental, etc . . . .

10. John Gamba

from ct

There Is Also Many reason's Not To!