Mulch spreadering

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mtdman, Sep 19, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

How much square footage can you cover with a yard of mulch? Just plain area, no plants or obstacles. I've never done this before and I've got a request for later in the fall for spreading mulch, I don't really know how to figure the job.

Thanks for any input.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I meant "spreading", not spreadering! Gimme a break, it's 12:30 am!

:D :dizzy:

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

general rule of thumb is 100 sq ft per yard when laid 3" deep (good depth to use too)

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I always try to keep it 2" thick. One of the most common mistakes is putting it on too thick. 3" isn't bad, and may even help prevent areas from becomming bare. One common mistake I see home owners make is mounding it too deep around the base of trees. Can cause a lot of problems. I have one client, who you can't tell him anything, that mounds it 9" deep around the base of all of his trees. Can't say he hasn't been warned.

5. RICKT761

RICKT761 LawnSite Member

To make your life a little bit easier go to www.atstecks.com/mulch I've used this site many times.Very helpful.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

3 inches for initial application which is 108 square feet of coverage/ yard.
    2 inches gives you 162 square feet of coverage.
    1-2 inches for top dressing when needed.

7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

8. Stickman11

Stickman11 LawnSite Member

DUDE!!!! Why aren't you looking at dirty pictures at 12:30am.
    Get your priorities straight!!! HA-HA