Mulch suppliers in or near Montana?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by "Ground Control", Jul 12, 2007.

1. "Ground Control"

"Ground Control" LawnSite Member

Where I live we have about 2 Landsape Nursery's and all they have is cedar bark. I cant find black dyed mulch anywhere. I have never seen it anywhere in Montana. I think that if I could find a supplier near me and start using it that everybody would start to want it. Does anyone know of any mulch suppliers near me?

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Right off the top of my head, no. Don't know if there is anything in Helena or Billings.

3. "Ground Control"

anyone?...

4. LindblomRJ

You are like the only one from Montana to post here. Perhaps take a look at the yellowpages.

5. "Ground Control"

I checked the yellow pages, I cant find anything. How about surrounding states delivering to montana? I really would like to get REAL mulch not the bark that people have here....it looks like crap...thanks

6. LindblomRJ

Check with some of the places in Billings, Butte, or Helana. In some of the areas where there are trees and a risk of forest fire the suggestion is to use an inorganic materials to help mitigate fire risk.

Might check with some of the saw mills might have to make your own. Another idea would be to check with nursery of golf course

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, you have to be near the source of a lot of mulch where you are. You should be able to buy it direct from any one of a number of lumber mills. If they don't have it ground the way you need it, they'll be happy to tell you who they ship the raw material to.

Why would you want to get dyed ground up pallets and fences when you have some of the best real bark sources right there? There is a market for it, but I hate the stuff.

Maybe you should invest in a grinder and become the source for this crap in your area, since so many people want it. Charge people to dump pallets and fencing and then sell the crap back to the landscapers. That is what is going on everywhere else. Even the granolas will love you because you will be "recycling" (and keeping the timber industry from selling a bit of bark as well).

A side note:

I like bark and I like the timber industry, so I'll skip the dyed stuff. Bark is a byproduct of lumber production and is making good use of a waste product just like using old fence. It has to go somewhere if it is not used. The big difference is that grinding fences uses more energy and manufacturing and spraying dye has some consequences as well. How anyone can conclude that dyed ground up wood is more environmentally sensitive that bark mulch is beyond me.

But, my neighbors use an electric lawnmower instead of a gas one.It does not occur to them that the oil fired electric plant burns more fuel to make hat electricity and a lot of energy is lost as it goes that 35 miles. Well, they think they are saving the world.

8. "Ground Control"

Thanks, I never even thought of that... What kind of grinder would I use? And if i got it already ground up from a lumber mill...how do I dye it different colors? Thanks for any info!

9. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

Rocky Mountain Compost out of Billings carries dyed mulch. I think they have it both bagged and bulk.

10. "Ground Control"

Thanks Beartooth, I called Rocky Mountain Compost and they want $40 a yard for colored mulch. Is this prive average for mulch? Also, I really like ALGA's idea to make mulch and become a supplier for the area. Does anyone know what all is involved in making colored mulch... What type of grinder I would need and how much it would cost. How long does the process take... does it need to sit and dry out after being ground and colored? Thanks for any info.