Mulch the whole yard?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by HitchC&L, May 8, 2011.

1. HitchC&L

HitchC&L LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants me to mulch his entire yard.

The whole property is surrounded by trees, the house is in the woods, he gets little to no sunlight and so he cant really grow grass.

He has about 1500 sq ft of area that he wants mulched. My question is, what other alternatives could I use instead of mulch. He wants to keep the cost down but wants it to look presentable.

He can afford the mulch job, but Im concerned with how well its going to hold up, Im going to put landscape fabric under it to keep weeds from growing up through, but next year I think hes going to be in the same position again, needing remulching, or at the very least touch ups.

Is there an alternative to this that will last longer? Id like to stay away from crushed stone because the driveway is gravel and I feel that it will just look like garbage with the whole thing just stone.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

in a job like that i typically use what we call "forrest mix". It looks more natural.

3. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats crazy! I REALLLYY would not go with mulch! For a number of reasons!
    I think i would look into turf! I hear thats what they use in sunny/dry states. Then you can also stripe it with a mower my cousin said! I would price that out. Bet its expensive as he!!
    Better than nothin' But that would be after he cut back some of those trees!

4. HitchC&L

HitchC&L LawnSite Member

Problem is he cant cut ANY trees on the property because its a HOA.

He wants no maintenance, hes rarely there and he doesnt want to work on it when he gets home. Its a bachelor pad and he wants it to look presentable for the ladies he brings home haha

5. HitchC&L

HitchC&L LawnSite Member

Id like to hear a little more about this forest mix...is that a common term that the suppliers would know what Im asking for?

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

What about rubber mulch? That stuff costs a bit more but only really needs it one time.

7. HitchC&L

HitchC&L LawnSite Member

I looked into that but regular mulch is right about the maximum hes looking to spend.

If its not all that much more per yard then I may be able to upsell him.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

The forest blend around us is wood chips but not clean wood chips. It has pine needles and pine cones and whatever else in it. We use it for big areas away from the house or for dog pens and things. I would consider it for what you are doing.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

You could design a full landscape into his yard. Plantings, dry creekbeds, a water feature, winding stone pathways, mulch areas, specimen boulders, stone beds, etc.

10. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

Yeah what part of "the guy wants to spend just enough to do the mulch" did you miss?