1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch This; I promiss no argueing by me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 14 acre lot

10 acres of turf to mow.

2. 5 acres of "woods"

3. We spent 3 days power raking, aerating and over seeding from the damage the mulched leaved did.

Had an irrigation system installed on the entire property.

Has 52M of full sun turf.

We did a removal the day before the pics were taken.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

LGF - Could you elaborate a bit on the damage caused by the mulching. Did someone else mow it and leave piles of leaf mulch that killed the grass or something?
  5. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

A little off the thread here but, would I get less blow out from my exmark if I used a stock blade over a gator? Currently I am using gators and bagging with an accelator bagger. I am down to two spacers and going to try one spacer. It just hit me that mabe the stock blades would create less blow out. i know you are like the exmark dude and can advise as well as anyone.

6. Guy bought this house last year, had a good amount of grass growing in the shaded areas, fall came and the LCO prior to me mulched all the leaves, then started the mowing this year.

I got this lawn mid May, and it has sparce grass in the wooded area, but it twas grass.

So this late August we power raked the entire property, took large amounts of decompsing (not decomposed) leaves out of the wooded area.

Now I got grass growing, (Georges Special Mix) in the shaded area, and plan to keep it.

BTW before the 1st pick-up we did you could not see the ground at all.

Now I an not arguing, but how do you expect to get rid of leaves in this kind of property.
  7. If the stock blades were high lift the Gator mulcher should be less lift. Try the spacer and see what it does.
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

You can mulch up to 6" of leaves into existing lawn, and it will benefit the lawn. This based on research by Zac Reicher at Purdue in the 90s. I think he just worked test plots with a 21" Toro recycler, and did control with no mulching, 3" and 6" depths for a few years. The 6" mulched plots were the healthiest soils at the end of the test, and improved every year.

Of course, I never saw pictures of these test plots after the mulching. 6" of leaves with the best mulching over a few weeks has to leave some unsightly mess. And oak leaves, even when mulched, will take a long time to actually decay. I believe Zac used mostly maple leaves. Most of mature landscapes here are mostly oaks. That's why most of my leaves are removed.
  9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My first choice would be to blow them into the woods or dispose of them on site somewhere.

My second choice would be to mulch them with single gators and bag any excess. Just put the bagger on, let it fill up and keep going. Now you're mulching. Empty bagger as needed in heavy areas. Dispose of catchings on site or collect on a tarp and carry or drag to trailer.

If that doesn't work (seems like it will take forever), blow or tarp to curb and call my friend Charlie to vac them up. This would be my last resort, not my first choice.

I try to stay flexible and deal with each situtation individually, depending on conditons.
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The property owner must be a millionaire to be able to afford multiple bagged cleanups of properties of that size. From what I can tell of the pictures, I believe mulching would be possible with a nice rider and mulch kit. Like was mentioned earlier in the Purdue study, there was no adverse effect, but actually benifit in mulching huge quantities of leaves. The larger places I service that have a good deal of trees are not manicured anyway, more of a park/woodland setting. At least for me, the owners of these types of properties don't care if they can go out in the back fourty and find some crushed leaf particles in the thin grass spots. The leaves will be all gone come spring, and the savings for them is imense. At least this is my experience with my customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.