1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch used to look good.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lqmustang, Aug 18, 2004.

1. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Guess it's my turn to vent a bit. Monday afternoon, I start on a fair sized job, edging beds, a bit of weeding, and 15 yards of some of the nicest black mulch money can buy. (triple dyed, triple ground hardwood) I finish up yesterday evening around 6pm, and I must say it looked awesome. The customer wasn't home, but he called me later in the evening to stop by the next day and he'd take care of the bill. Not a problem as I would be cutting in the general area anyway. I get there this evening, and even though he's not there, he has an envelope on the door with my check in it. (and here you thought this was gonna be another 'where's my money' gripe :p ). The gripe starts before I even got to the door where the check was. There are 2 nice sized beds at the end of the driveway, and low and behold, I see nothing but grass in the beds. Whoever is cutting this man's yard had absolute no regard for the fresh mulch layed less than 24 hours earlier. Point the chute at the fresh black mulch, and blow away!!!!!!!!!:angry: I walk around the house, and there is grass in the mulch all over the place. I am fuming. Doesn't even look like they made an effort to blow the grass back out of the mulch. I called the customer, and thanked him for the payment, and then let him know also that if he wanted an LCO who would make a little effort to keep his beds clean, he can call me anytime. He asked me for a price, and said he would get back with me after he took a look around, as he hadn't seen it yet.

I guess at the least I may gain a new mowing customer out of it, but it still peeves me to no end the carelessness of the other LCO.

Rant over, thank you, have a great evening. :)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have customers that are almost as bad. Just this past spring, had this 10 yard job. I was talking to the lady after I finished, the usual stuff "it looks so good, blah blah blah". While I'm packing up my truck, I watch as this customer starts DIGGING HOLES in the fresh mulch, and starts planting flowers. She made a nice mess of it. But hey, she paid me, so its her mulch.