Mulch vs. Bagging

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GardnerLandscaping, Jul 30, 2006.

1. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have thoughts to share on this?

I read that mulching reduces fertilizing needs by 20%. Mulching also has that intuitive belief it reduces landfill needs though most places have public mulching facilities. Mulching also has less costs--you don't have to spend the time to collect and dispose.

I've also heard from others they prefer bagging because it reduces weeds and diseases. Of course, public compost facilities exist and one can use the clippings for their own composting. It also picks up yard trash that don't have to be blown anywhere or picked up.

So what is better? Is it just a customer preference? Spend more time on bagging and feeding or spend more time on blowing, weed-and-feed, and disease control?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of it is customer preference, but we do all mulching and I don't see a big problem with weeds in healthy lawns. Don't know about whether more insects get in mulched yards we do have a lot of grubs and chinch bugs in our area in St Augustine. We highly prefer to mulch so we don't need to deal with hauling off trash. We no longer have people in our area ask for bagging because we are in a environment friendly area and they preach about not filling up land fill, and fert use , etc.

3. hess

hess LawnSite Member

I do it and i'm able to do it but it's what the customer wants!