Mulch warning, is this real?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Greenboy25, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Greenboy25

Greenboy25 LawnSite Member

I recieved an email from a customer today stating the following:

Hi Gary-

I don't know if this is true but rumor has it that the mulch being sold in
    Home Depot and Lowes; etc this spring is from New Orleans' trees that were
    blown down. These are infested with Formosan termites which are not covered
    under most pest control contracts.

As a precaution please do not put any mulch around our house or gardens.

thanx

Has anyone read anything of the sort and is this info at all true?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I think it's folklore (an old wive's tale)... Just another in the long line of stories that can send you on a wild goose chase of investigating and detective work until you find out in the end, as you had suspected, that it really was just a dumb (and by now nasty) rumor.

I highly doubt large corporations such as Home Depot or Lowe's would stoop so low as to order sub-standard supplies in order to save money, the only thing I can think is I am sure these corporations always get their mulch from the same distributor because to me, their mulch looks the same day after day. Of course there is the disgruntled hourly employee or the bored lawnguy along with some terribly bored homeowners who have nothing better to do than come up with stuff like this.

However, I'm glad for the heads up because my standard answer to this is I don't buy mulch by the bag (I buy it by the yard because it's way cheaper) and our mulch comes local, from our own state's trees. In the meantime, if any of my customers come around with this, I'm glad because I don't do bagged mulch and wonder why anyone would think I do but attribute it to miss-information and figure this story is as most are, likely (and hopefully) temporary.

3. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

It's not true.. Check out snopes.com for more info.

4. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

They had a thing on the news the other nite stating that it was NOT real.

5. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the Termite business too No its not real

6. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

So a question for you, are termites in bulk mulch too?? I always have home owners get all uptight about mulch being near their houses

7. Xterminator

They can Be they are in the ground around the customers house and can walk over the termite Barrier if the Mulch Is too High on the Structure

8. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

What is not real?
    Termites?
    Are you saying they dont like mulch?
    That they dont like to travel?
    Are you saying that no mulch has left LA unchecked?

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Any wood mulch that's comprised of woods that termites LIKE is going to attract termites, dosn't matter if it's coming from LA or your hometown. This is why mulch is generally cypress and cedar, termites do not like either. (so I have been told).

Cypress mulch generally comes from the swamp regions, such as LA. What's happening is that there are so many trees downed, many species of trees are getting ground up together as "cypress" mulch, not just the cypress. ((this is MY assumption)) It's not that the insects are present, but that the mulch is actually going to attract them...

10. Xterminator

Cypress & Cedar they dont favor they will eat it and use it to travel ( MUD TUBES ) yes some make it through Im sure but they cannot survive in cold conditions