Mulch weight?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lsylvain, Mar 9, 2003.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone knows roughly how much mulch weighs. I was planning on using my trailer this year instead of the truck if I can haul enough to make it worth while.

If I use the trailer I can go to the sawmill and get my mulch, but it is 30 min farther than my local guy. I can get the mulch for 75% of what I am paying locally but have the added gas and time to pick it up.

I have a 7' x 16' trailer. I can pull up to 7000 pounds with it but I don't like to haul more than 5000. I'm trying to figure up how high I need to make the side rails to get enough mulch to save time and money. ( I can't fill my trailer at the local guy no room)

To get the quantity of mulch I need to save t&m I need to have 4' sides. How much would that weigh? Ideas?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, for most mulches, generally speaking, and depending how wet or moist it is, 3 yards is WELL under a ton.

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

With the mulches I have dealt with over the years, I doubt if you could overload most trailers or vehicles.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

4. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Hardwood in my area weighes between 600 to 800 lb per cubic yard; pine somewhat less (probably 500~600 lb per cubic yard). Black mulch in my area is generally colored with charcoal dust, which increases the density to 800~1000 lb per cubic yard. All of these figures depend highly on moisture content of the mulch - this time of the year will generally yeild greater moisture content, thus increasing the weight. Be careful when loading your vehicle or trailer - never overload it with more weight than you think you can handle.

From your measurements, the struck off volume with 4' sides is 448 cubic feet, or 16.6 cubic yards. For a mulch that has a density of 500 lb per cubic yard, the total weight would be 8300 lb. Check with your supplier to find out what the density of the material is. If they do any trucking of the material, they should know.

5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 6x12ft trailer with 2ft plywood sides built on them and we've gotten in at least 4yds of mulch, hardwood mostly along with some enviromulch. Its a single axle and has a rating of 3,500 on front and also rear part of the axle but have had no problems.
    Im guessing you could easily get 8yds in a 16ft trailer tandem.
    Matt

6. MD Land Management

MD Land Management LawnSite Member

Hey guys Can't wait to start mulching here its almost time. We have a 6x12 dual axel dump trailer with 4foot high sides. We typically get between 5-6 yards of mulch in there with no prob. The trailer is rated at 3 tons, I bet the mulch to way in at around 2,500lbs or so. We have no trouble pulling it with a 99' F150 4 door V6. good luck mulching.

Mark
    MD Landscape Management
    Cherry Hill, NJ

7. To be safe figure 800 dry to 1000 moist.

8. lsylvain

thanks guys,

I was looking over my origional post and realized I said 7000 lbs, I don't know what I was thinking my trailer can pull 10,000 lbs

So hauling 10 yards would be pushing it with the truck.

Thanks again.

9. 1) a trailer doesn't pull anything, but I see you said might push your truck.

2) just because a trailer has a GCVW of 10,000 doesn't mean it can hold 10k in payload. You must subtract the weight of the trailer, and other contents. Find out what the empty weight of both truck and trailer, then you will know what you can and can't haul.

3) pulling 10,000 with a 3/4 to 1 ton is overloading it.

4) if your plates are not above what the GCVW of your truck is, say hello to the massive dollar ticket you can and will get.

A '98 3/4 dodge reg cab 4x4 pickup is 5400# with a 1,500# trailer thats 6900#, add mulch at about 7000# and you are now over bl12 plates, and those DOT's love to ticket overloaded trucks.

I've seen to many guys pulled ove, many are if you only knew before you loaded up.

10. lsylvain

LGF, yeah I know that's why I don't like to pull over 5000lbs I have used it with 8000lbs on it before. my truck weights 7200 lbs and the trailer is 2.5k emply( If I remember corectly)

thanks