mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bw, May 1, 2000.

1. bw

bw LawnSite Member

do you guys put mulch in beds that the house is close to, i heard not to do because of termites and other insects harmful to you or your customers house, anyway any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure we put mulch close to the customers house. If you are concerned they have termite control mulch , but I haven't bothered. The particle size in the mulch I use (triple grind hardwood) is so small that they wouldn't set up residence, not to mention I only put down 1-2&quot; so the mulch is pretty well decomposed after a season. Now if the mulch is piling up from excessive over mulching, you could have a problem with insects and maybe termites setting up camp. Personally I have never seen termites in mulch, many times in rotting retaining walls and stumps though! Remember...too much mulch is usually not a good thing. Especially up against trunks of trees and shrubs as it holds moisture making a good environment for insects to set up camp and do their damage.<p>Hope this helps.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Tell the customer the mulch will lure the termites away from the house, ya know, give em an easier meal. Better in the mulch than the house :)<p>With our customers that are concerned with it, we offer to use rock or pebbles around the perimeter if they would rather have it than mulch near the house.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Use cedar mulch,less bug activity and lasts longer.It also costs more.