Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shawninfl, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Shawninfl

Shawninfl LawnSite Member

How do you price for mulch? Do you charge separate for the cost of mulch and the labor or do you just add them all together on the invoice? How much do you mark up for the mulch and about how much per hour do you charge for install?
  2. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

markup is up to you, I don't normally mark mine up that much, however I usually charge anywhere between 40-50 per yard of mulch to install. Hope this helps
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Bags of mulch? Or bulk?

I mark up everything plus charge an hourly rate.

I prefer bags, but if you are talking about massive amounts, then you will need to figure in blower costs and maybe additional delivery costs.

By the way, does anyone have some links showing a mulch blower in action?
  4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Well depending on where you buy the mulch (in bulk) you can apply for a "contractor's discount" Usually it ranges from 10-20% off the mulch!

Well I charge the full price of the mulch, which includes tax, for however much I use on there property, then pocket the discount. Labor and mulch prices are seperate at time of estimate.
  5. Shawninfl

Shawninfl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I am buying mostly by bags right now unless it is a big job and I charge a 15% markup then I charge $45 per hour to install. If I have any removal of old mulch then I also charge for disposal. Just wanted to see if I was on the money or not and it seems like I am.