Mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MattsMowing3535, Nov 4, 2006.

1. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,
    I've looked over the site alot to try and learn as much as I can about mulch work. I have alot of clients intersted in haveing mulch put down in beds (some over old mulch some just new mulch). I think I got the priceing down. (Take the price of the mulch ad about 30 dollers of so (Sometime more) per yard and tack on the delivary) What I don't have down yet is how you all measure out to a good amount what you need for mulch. Do you just add a little extra after you make rough estimates of garden beds and such? Then if there is to much just toss down some extra? Sorry if this is totaly a stupid question. Thanks for any help,
    Matt's Landscaping

2. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

1 Cubic yard will cover about 80-100 SF(most resi beds are about 4 ft dep and then you can go about 20 -25 feet in length with 1 yard) at a depth of
    3" or so. Don't put it down less than 2.5" or it will look like crap after about 2-3 months. I charge 80.00 per cubic yard for midnight mulch and 75 per yard for hardwood and get it all day long in my area. Most charge 55-60 per yard but I don't have a problem getting what I do because I also will do light weed removal to make it look good...

3. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

Until you do several jobs, be sure to add 3-4 yards to your estimate to cover your original estimate. This being based on past jobs where I had 20-30 yard installs when I initially started out. You may overlook some nooks and crannies, ground features behind beds etc. that require additional mulch.

4. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

What if you Estimate a job for 5 yards of mulch, and you tell the homeowner that for five yards installed it will be 275. But when you go and do the work your 2 yards short. Do i take the hit, or can i add that to there bill? Or do you tell them your putting down 2-3 more yards then you really are to cover yourself? THanks

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

6. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

???????????

7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

You would be crazy to add it to the bill. If you only needed 3 yards would you take off 2 of the yards? I dont think so. I would eat the price and tell myself to estimate better next time. Or I would just spread it thinner.