Mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by larryinalabama, Feb 26, 2008.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

With Home Depoit charging around 3$ a bag for mulch I have come up with an idea. Im going to have some canvis sacks made up and buy a tractor trailer load of pine bark mulch. Then fill the sacks and charge 3$ per sack <the same as the box store. per sack INSTALLED. The sacks will be reusable and iI will figure out some way to eaisley refill them.

What do you fellers think? Anyone doing this?

2. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

What is your purpose for doing that?

3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you waste your time filling each sack if you are going to install it. Have it delivered to the site via truck and use a wheel barrow.

4. larryinalabama

That would of coarse be for smaller jobs, no way to hall bulk mulch in the truck with the eqiptment in it.

In other words if a homeowner were to go to Home Depoit for 10 sacks, If they new I offered this service they would call me first. Quick 30$ Im thinking.

5. gandk06

So I am assuming that you are buying the mulch somewhere else in bulk for less than 3 bucks, right? Now, lets say you are getting it for $2. You will have now made a whole $10 for your time and fuel usage. Great idea! Would you be will to travel to my house to mulch my yard.

I think you need to rethink your idea if you want to make any money in this business.:hammerhead:

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

You could try removing your equipment, have the mulch loaded at the supplier, then lay the rakes, shovels, and wheelbarrow on top of the load of mulch. Drive to your 1st customer, shovel from the truck into the wheelbarrow, install mulch. Place tools back in truck. Proceed to 2nd customer, and so on. You could even invest in a Loadhandler to make this process easier.

Or you could load it into bags, then empty the bags. Then reload it for even more fun. It would be excellent exercise.

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are you buying mulch from Home Depot? Go to a nursery and set up an account as a contractor. You will get better pricing.

8. larryinalabama

My thinking is I can fill a sack of mulch for around .40 cents. I understand that this will not work for big projects. I already have a Tractor trailer load of mulch to do my own yard. I have devised a holder that holds 5 sacks and i can fill them with a couple of scoops with my excavator. I can fill 10 sacks in less than 2 minutes, thats faster than loading a wheel borrow with bulk from the back of my truck.

Its just a thought but Im thinking bulk mulch for small jobs is a hassle

9. DiGiTLawncare

DiGiTLawncare LawnSite Member

I believe he stated he was going to buy it by the truck load.... which when I last bought mulch by the truck load I paid $1150 some odd dollars and it was for 65 cubic yards of mulch. I believe that the bags at home depot are 1-3 cubic feet? Say they are 3 cubic feet. They are paying about $1 per cubic foot of mulch from HomeDepot. He is paying $1150 for 65 cubic yards x 27 cubic feet per yard = 1755 total cubic feet. Well 1755/3 = 585 3 cubic yard bags or much x $3 = once again $1755. He is paying .65 cents per yard and selling it for $1.00. $605 profit. Maybe just for selling it though. Not to go lay it would I bag it. Not enough profit for the time for me to bother with but to each his own.

I hope noone gets lost in my mathmatical equation. lol

10. gandk06

I would agree with the ability to make a profit when buying in large bulk quantities. But I doubt this guy is going to buy 65 yards at a time and then fill bags with it.