mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by woodie08, Mar 29, 2008.

1. woodie08

woodie08 LawnSite Member

whats the going rate to do a mulch job?

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

What is the size of the job (sq. ft.)?

What kind of mulch (bags, bulk, etc?)

What hourly rate do you need to command in order to profit over your overhead?

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have a 4x8x2ft trailer. Just how much mulch will it hold? I don't know the formula.

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

um lenth x with x height? Add up the # on the bag and you will have your answer. Your trailer is way to small to make any head way mulching just get it delivered.

5. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

2.37 yds. You may be able to get 3. Taller sides 4. :confused:

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

it will hold about 500lbs of mulch or whatever that size trailer is rated at...

7. ALC-GregH

from PA

Matt, I'm not looking at a bag of mulch at this time so any numbers on there doesn't help right now. I was wondering how to calculate the amount to see if my little trailer would be enough to do a single family home. Apparently it's not going to be enough. I'll most likely have it delivered as you stated. I can still use my trailer to haul the equipment so not a total loss.

thanks for the replies....

Mark, thanks for the help. I could build taller sides and add 2 more feet to the sides. That MIGHT give me enough room for one small home but if it's not enough, I'll spend to much time and gas making extra trips.

8. Raven386

from CT

it doesnt matter how tall you make your sides. you can make them fifty feet in the air if you want to, yea it will FIT 50 yards. but there is no way it will actually hold 50 yards. the trailer is just not rated for hauling mulch.

9. ALC-GregH

from PA

not rated to haul mulch? I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean volume? In other words, your saying the trailer is to SMALL to use to haul mulch to clients? Weight isn't the factor so I'll assume you mean volume. (not enough to do average homes)

10. Raven386

from CT

No, weight. Whats the trailers GVWR ?