1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Titans Fan, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I own a commercial mowing business and I have several customers wanting mulch layed.

How do you guys charge?

Double or triple the cost of the mulch for the labor?

Thanks!

2. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I charge for the mulch plus one one hour of labor for each yard. Example: mulch =$20.00 + $35.00 labor = $55.00 per yard. You could always charge more for the mulch and make a profit off of that too but I find that I can actually lay at least 2 yds an hour in beds that have established plants in them.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If your having the mulch delivered by someone else,figure out how much you want to make per hour wheelbarrowing and laying your mulch.Then factor in how much your business needs to make an hour to turn a respectable profit.
    If you're going to pick up the mulch and install it,figure in your hourly pay,your company's hourly pay(with gas,equipment replacement costs,maintenance costs,insurance,taxes,etc.,,) and charge enough to make plenty of profit for yourself and the business.
    You ,as a business owner/operator deserve to be paid well for your work.I can't tell you how much to charge,because I don't know what kind of
    money you need to make a profit.Just be sure it's worth your time.After examining my costs versus profits this weekend,I've just raised my prices.:D

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

$50 a cu. yard installed. :cool:

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I charge $28 to deliver it plus $25.00 to spread each yard
    I add $10 to the purchase price of the mulch.

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

$80-100/yard installed. Includes edging and pre-m.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

$3 per cubic foot installed. Plus another $1 to $2 per cubic foot installed if the beds are weedy.

$3.75 per cubic foot installed if they won't commit to having me mulch the beds at least once a year.

I have no problem selling it at this price. None whatsoever.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

For cedar mulch, I charge $80 per yard. Sometimes I charge more because of weeds.

9. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

$60-$80 per yard installed materials and labor

10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: $80.00, double shredded black, i pay $13.00 a yard.