1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by greenback, Apr 21, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

how many hours would you estimate to spread out 1500 sq.ft. of mulch. mulch piles are about 100 ft away from where i need to put it. two men, two wheel barrels. i am guessing around 3, am i off or not.

2. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

IMO, you are not making any sense. 1500 sq. ft. of mulch. Who buys mulch by the square foot? It's either cu.ft. or cu.yds. Is the flower/mulch bed 1500 square feet? In that case, at 2" thick you would require ~9 cubic yards of mulch. I would guess a between 2 and 3 hours.

3. greenback

from L.I.

i do not think anyone buys mulch by the sq. ft., i did not say that is what i am buying. the customer has the mulch, i have to cover a total area of 1500 sq. ft., the mulch is 100 ft away. i gave him a price for three hours. hope this explaination helps you out. oh yeah, i did not buy themulch he has it on his property, about 100 feet away if i forgot to mention that.

4. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Again, you are not understanding!!

There is a big difference betweem laying down mulch 1" thick compared to 4" thick. In your case it could be the difference between having to spread 5 cubic yards or 19 cubic yards of mulch. So what is the amount of mulch you have to distribute so I can attempt to answer your question?

5. greenback

from L.I.

dont worry about it the job is done, it was 1500 sq. ft. maybe 1/2" thick, it was just a cover thats why i said 1500 sq. ft. and no thickness. thanks anyway.

6. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

According to your response should've been I had a little more than two yards to spread. But, I'm going to assume you only had two yards. How long did it take you? If you got 6 man-hours of labor out of that job you are doing a heck of a lot better than I am. I would expect no more than two man-hours.

7. greenback

from L.I.

it took us a little more than 2 hours, i charged him 2 1/2. the mulch was home made and he has it on his property in the back, i am guessing he has about 15-20 yards of it. if i do the calculation i caould tell you how much we used but i do not have a calc. by me. i wish i could have squeezed 6 hours from him, i would be a rich man if al;l my jobs were like that.