Mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, May 24, 2004.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my customers wants me to move and spread 30yd of shredded hardwood mulch. I ordered it, but he paid for it, and I am wondering how much to charge to move and spread it. I figured about $10 per yard. (labor only) Am I too low, too high??

2. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

Way too low. In my area, we get about 38$ per yard. Installed price for regular undyed double shredded hardwook bark mulch is 63$ / yard.

3. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking too low. The labor is going to include loading and transporting too, and it takes my assistant and I a solid 25-30 to spread 1 cubic yard of mulch perfectly. So, I figure I charge $35-$40/cubic yard (in labor) to spread the mulch.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

way, way, way too low.

5. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

That's not too low at all! In fact, I've got several hundred yards I'd like you to spread for me. I'll even throw in transportation.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LMAO

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Try to find someone that blows the mulch in ( a reputable person). Around here they charge 18 per yard to blow it in and they clean up and everything, I turn around and charge the customer 35 per yard then. And yea your too low i'd say.

8. GTLC

Well, lets think here, if they can go out and buy a $200,000 mulch blower truck, they might be 2-5 times more productive than you, so blowing may be faster for them so it is cheaper. But, I think you can do a much better job laying it by hand.

9. GTLC

Lets ask GroundcoverSolutions

10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

wow.. you can come work for me..

spreading only is a PITA.. Because you don't make any money off the mulch.. I would charge hourly for that kind of work..