1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulchbed Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kirk1701, Mar 28, 2010.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys,
    I'm going to create a mulch bed down one side of the yard and I'm trying to figure out how you create the edging that looks like the grass just stops and the mulch starts with no boarder like brick edging between the grass and the bed?

I've seen pics on here of it being done just don't know where.
  2. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

Use your foot & a spade
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That and take string trimmer at a 90* angle to clean it up when you are done.

If it's a large run, then go rent a bed edger at a rental house.
  4. kirk1701

ahh bed edger so thats what its called :clapping:

Yea, its going to be a long run 105 feet down the side of the front yard and want it to have that look when its done.

I'll look into rentals.
  5. kirk1701

Sp pretty much this is what I'm going to have to do to get this look?

I'm looking at the third pic down which shows it's been edged then dig out the inside for the mulch to sit inside the bed am I understanding that correctly?

M&B LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

well if there is sod where you want to create a bed at then use a sod cutter cut down about 2.5 inches and there is your bed edge.
  7. kirk1701

No sod, just grass I planted but due to a number of reasons, one of which is moles tend to dig in this area and I just end up repairing repairing and repairing I figured just mulch it and be done, let them dig :laugh:

Second, we'll I want to hide the mess against our property line see attached.

Third, I'm going to go all the way to the back property line where we have holly planted from the start of the backyard to the back property line and my mistake to start with was planting grass around the holly. Grass needs lime, holly not doing so well because I've limed this area :dizzy:

8. Stevegotcrabgrass

Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member

Personally, I don't use a bed edger, I use my Powertrim edger to make the first cuts into the turf....then turn the edger around, adjust the blade and go the other direction...then take a half moon edger and clean it up by hand, then take a string trimmer and give final touch ups...then take blower and blow the dirt away...then charge the customer for a job well done....then try to upsell mulch and new plantings.....not always in that order.......
  9. kirk1701

Hey guys, I'm kinda getting mixed feeling about this project and part of me says I might be over doing it so before I started this I wanted to get some of your opinions :)

As I said above, plan was to go all the way down this side of the property line from the back property line all the way to the front property line.

Now suddenly I'm getting the feeling this might be "overkill" or look overdone; what you think?

You have one pic above which is from the road looking up toward the house.
    Attached are the other 3 shots of this side of the property.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I think it would look good and it would eliminate any trimming around the bushes and fence.

It's just a matter of time and money. If you've got those requirements, I'd say go for it.

I noticed you said you limed your yard. Was it necessary? The only reason I ask is with all the soil samples I've done, I've never had to apply lime, and usually it's always Sulfur that I have to add.