1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulcher leaving trail.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scraps, Sep 28, 2007.

1. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

I just recently purchased a Scag 48" WB with the Velocity deck. Side discharged pretty darn good. I put on the mulching plate and now it leaves a steady row of grass that comes out the bottom and top hole of the plate. Any suggestions as to how to fix? Im thinking duct tape the top but still have grass shooting out underneath it. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks all. Peace out.....
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

is there just a mulching plate or are the blades also baffled off????
  3. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

Yes they came baffled part of velocity deck......
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

you need the full mulching kit with the velocity deck. The old advantage decks could get by with just the discharge blocker but this is not the case with the velocity decks.

Good luck.
  5. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

Also make sure that you are using good mulching not high lift the angle of the sail will make a huge difference on whether or not you are acutally mulching.

Don't cut off so much each pass even on the yards that I do bi-weekly my toro can side discharge without leaving clumps or noticable clippings in the yard.

If for some reason the grass has excessive growth make first pass with deck set high ..........less cut less clippings
    Then drop deck to the desired height and make second pass

Always, Always, Always make 2 passes-even if at the same setting this will first of all insure a quality cut, and second recut any clippings that haven't fallen into the grass
  6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

The plate sucks....you need a mulch kit and you will see a difference
  7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a plate on mine and its not too bad, but I also run gator blades. How do you like the mulch kit? I am curious but dont want to spend the money on something that i might not like. I like to switch between side discharge and mulching.
  8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I love my mulch kit....I dont have mulch kits on my 48wb or the 52, but the 52 does have a plate and compared to the 36 that has the mulch kits, its a totally different cut....I can cut wetter and taller grasses with the mulch kit....But I have become a side chute man.....seems like the after cut is much better when using the side chute...how about this weather KTO....doesnt get much better....you get rain yesterday??? We got a sip....
  9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem is some of my yards are too small to blow clippings to center then turn around and blow them back out till they dissappear. These I have to use the plate on. But the big stuff i can blow out the discharge.

We are high and dry. Got rain last thursday and friday. Its hotter than he!! when the devil leaves the furnace on all night here. It amazes me how much sand we have here. I bush hogged all yesterday and today and I am covered in sand and dirt. I can believe we are almost into october and having 90 degree days.
  10. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

No it already has the baffles all you need for the Velocity is the plate there is no mulching kit for it. The side discharge works great I was just hoping for a good mulch on leaves then pick up straglers with me ztr. Thanks and Peace out......