1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulcher took place of helper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burns60, Dec 7, 2005.

1. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I did a shrub and hedge prunning today. I had piles of red tip, privet, huge hollys,and some kind of shrub with a thorn that will go through gloves. Before, I had always raked up the trimmings and placed them into a garbage bag lined trash barrell to dispose of them. This time though I left all the trimmings on the ground and got the mower down and started mulching. I mulched some privet trimmings that were a 1/4 on an inch in diameter,(had to pick up maybe a handful of these leftover) which was the toughest, but everything else just vanished. It was like having a hired helper, but I didn't have to pay. This was not a small job, and I likely will never bag another prunning job if I can blow the trimmings out to the yard where I can get the mower to them.

You all may want to try this sometime if you haven't already, and if you have, why didn't you tell me about it already?
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

thats one of many reasons we like our walker mowers. we blow clippings into yard and suck them up with mower. dump on trailer, scrape off with tractor. never have to handle them. thorn bushes are probably barberries. are they red?
  3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do that with a friends tractor. works GREAT, and drastically reduces cleanup time.
  4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure the Walkers are great, but I forgot to put in a "plug" for my Exmark. Any way to keep from handling these trimmings is better than what I had been doing.

The bushes did not have berries, just thorns and plenty of them.

Had another thought on this today. I probably never tried mulching the trimmings in the summer because I don't have the mulch kit on the mower then. Another good reason to have a "designated" mulcher mower.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have always tried to vac up and/or mulch, cuttings whenever possible, hand raking only the remnants. Not always possible due to the layout of the area around the shrubs. But compared to putting stuff in bags, it's like Porsche vs. Yugo. Thankfully my shrub work diminishes with every year.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another good use for a snapper hi vac.