Mulchers/Land Clearing Guys, Good entry level machine??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Krazy, my dealer has a cat 259 b3 with 437 hours for 37000 or a 299c with highflo and. 585 hours for 62000 if eather intrest you
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Did a Lil searching online last night.

Found a company in Illinois selling off a whole fleet of Gehls from 04'-08'. They have CTL60,70 & 80s.
    Full cab all under 1000hrs.

It may be worth the 1400mile round trip for a good machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I drove 1700 to get one.
  4. JNB Construction

JNB Construction LawnSite Senior Member

Now you're talkin!
  5. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

Where at here in IL?

I've got what would be a Gehl CTL65 (it's a Tak TL230) and it's a little tank. Cab's are huge but very few creature comforts, the rest of the machine is hard to beat though.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have spent almost 3 of the last 6 years running mulching machines full time. We have run only leased machines. You do not want to own a mulching machine. Super high maint costs and tons of downtime. When you need a mulcher, go rent one by the day/week/month, whatever. Just do not buy one, you WILL BE SORRY.
    I have run Rayco's, Fecons, and Bobcats. All are maint. nightmares.
    Remember, the machine is constantly trying to tear itself apart while mulching material.
    FWIW: The Bobcat T300 will constantly overheat when running any mulching attachment in this southern heat. On a hot day, you can run maybe 30 - 45 min. out of any given hour.
  7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have to disagree. I mulch near San Antonio with a Bobcat and 2 speed FAE. I do not overheat. Back in July, when the outside temp was over 100 and the humidity was high, I had to back it off a little in the hottest part of the day but it was doable. My 200 hp chipper, which is designed to run all day in all weather gets hot if I don't keep the radiator clean or feed it too much.
  8. toomuchtime

toomuchtime LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch here in So cal and the only time my machine runs hot is in 100+ temps when things get extremely dusty. The machines need blown out at lunch with the backpack blower solves the problem. If you are a Owner operator mulching is not bad on the machines just takes alittle more TLC in the maintenance dept. if your planning on turn a employee loose with it I would just rent as stated above.
  9. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Between our batwings and mulcher we have spent over 10 k in the last 2 months in repairs .Just yesterday we found a buried I beam that ripped 4 tool holders and 2 teeth off of our fecon. So not only are we having to overnight parts in but we are loosing 3 days due to down time. The parts will be under 1k but the lost 3 days will cost us 8 - 1- x that. This is all part of it for us and why we need to charge the hourly amount that we do. If you under price something and then damage something it could take you out of the game as fast as you got into it.
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

well guy backed out on buying my skidsteer. i really hate to sell it, since its paid for. still on the look for a tracked machine though.