1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tas_sat, Jul 28, 2003.

1. tas_sat

tas_sat LawnSite Member

I have been working for the a small commercial lawn care business for about 8 years now and the entire time we have been bagging grass. Now I know there has to be a better way in terms of mulchers, but what is it?
    We currently use all John Deere riding mowers (475, 485, 495) is there any custom mulcher decks that we could purchase or is it the whole mower system (preferably a deck width of 54 - 60 in)?
    What type of horsepower do we need to effectively mulch the grass (Gas or deisel better)?
    Also to mulch grass with out leaving trails how fast should the blade tip speed be?

Sorry for so many questions but I know I can get some helpful insight to answer some of my questions. I am sick of bagging grass and I know there has to be a beter way!
  2. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Welcome to Lawnsite! For information about mulching you best bet is using the search feature at the top of this page. There is tons of information on these subjects here at lawnsite

3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

check meg-mo. comm they will help with the problems you are asking about
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Here's a thought

Ever notice that at the end of the fertilizer run (weeks after the app) that the grass is not as tall, and that for the first week after the app, still not so tall. That is when we mulch as many as we can. Just run with no catchers, no special kits.