1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulching 16 yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dingo, Mar 2, 2000.

1. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

I cannot charge 50-60 per yard like everyone else charges. What should i charge?<br>Dingo

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Why can't you charge that? I would charge 60.00 min. to deliver and spread mulch.

3. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

If it is for MY client I charge $12.00 over the cost of wood mulch. It will make my life easier in the long run, less weeds, better looking ptoperty,etc.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Does the customer know it will take 16 yards?<br>Charge for the job not for the yards of mulch. <p>I agree, I cannot get the $50-60 a yard either. The market is too competitive and people won't pay $240 for 4 yards of mulch. But they might pay $200 for the mulch on my trailer :) They don't need to know if it is 4 yards or 6 yards...know what I mean? You don't break down the cost of your fertilizer and charge by the bag, don't do it with the mulch either.

5. MJM Landscaping Inc

MJM Landscaping Inc LawnSite Member

I agree with Keith. Do not charge by the yard. Use it to figure your price but dont tell the customer.I charge 65-75 a yard, do you think i would get that if i told them that! If someone calls you on the phone and ask you &quot;How much do you charge a yard?&quot; Tell them that you price by the job not the yard and that you would be more than happy to give them an estimate. In all likelihood they will tell you that they will call you back. They were only price shopping and you dont want them anyway. The best way to weed out the undesirables and price shoppers is to NEVER give a price over the phone. (That also means how much you charge to mow an acre of grass ect.) My 2 cents.<br>Mark

6. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

ok, what would you price a mulching job that needed 16 yards of mulch and it was spread 2&quot; thick. You have to bring the mulch and it is not a far trip from the trailer to the beds. Price it as a job not by the yards like all you guys say to do. Thanks for the help<br>Dingo

7. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

how many squre feet does a yard actually cover at 2 inches thick<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

8. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

I have been told 162-170 sq. ft. is this right guys? <br>Dingo<br>

9. pete

pete LawnSite Member

Yeah those numbers are right if you crunch the numbers. I think that this is a generous estimate becase its hard to put 2 inches down. i would figure more like 120-140 sq ft for a yard.

10. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

I also have a guy who wants me to big on 1780 sq/ft of mulch work that would take around 19yds cause he wants the bed in the front 3&quot; and the ones in the back 2&quot; the beds are easy get to. If someone could please give me an idea of what they would charge. I also am not sure how long it would take. If you have a pretty good idea of how long it would take one person please let me know i would greatly appreciate it.<br>Dingo