mulching animals....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, May 16, 2005.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

unfortunately, mulching animals is an occupational hazzard we in the lawn care industry must face.

but dang I hate it when it happens.

just saturday I mulched a fledgling bird of some kind. I never saw the little guy until I made the next pass.

it was pretty nasty. feathers everywhere and a mass of lifeless protoplasm at grass cut level.

but I am a professional grass cutter and don't like to leave a mess so I made another pass.

that did the trick. nothing left, not even a feather!

I am trying to be more careful now.

GEO :)
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Thank god for mulchers! Never hit anything live, but did get a dead bird once side discharging with doubles. Feather city!!!!
  3. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hit a baby rabbit once....well twice. Nipped him with the Skag (not the blade) then when i was trimming the little guy was hugging the fence post and i didnt see him! He was barking like crazy...I felt horrible all day.
  4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I was cutting a yard for the first time last year, about a foot tall. Anyway, the dog had drug a dead skunk off the road into the yard and needless to say, I chopped it up. I almost barfed. The smell was beyond anything I had ever had the displeasure of inhaling. WOW that thing stunk. Nothing like rotting carcas and smell of skunk all in one.
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Skunks are the worst! The big thing at my work was running over a dead one right at shift change for the oncoming people to enjoy all day! Seemed to linger for ever
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I mulched a snake
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hit a turtle on Saturday at my lake house. Never saw the damn thing. took the top of his shell right off, and shot it as well as the innards all over the side of my white garage. All i found was the bottom of the shell. Ewwwww
  8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate snakes! mulch em all!
    I do really feel bad if I hit a bunny tho.
  9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Actually let the snake eat the bunny then mulch it.!
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol, that was good! :laugh: :laugh:
    I wish I could mulch moles, damn things, kill the food source, still here, set traps, slip right thru, I'm gonna start standing guard with a pitch fork pretty soon.