1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching Beds and Tree Rings

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The Green Barber, Apr 8, 2008.

1. The Green Barber

The Green Barber LawnSite Member

Hello, if any one can help me get a better idea to estimate mulching It would really be appreciated. I'm located in western New York. Lets say my labor rate is 35hr and I buy mulch for $29.00 yard. Figuring there is 6 yards includes tree rings and s shape beds. What is the average time to apply. Do I include removing old mulch with price. I really need a better idea to estimate because I seem to be losing bids.
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

No need to remove the old mulch, unless theres too much of it there already. If where your placing it is close to your truck or where your dumping it-5 to 6 manhours should do, you should be around $400.00, mulch around here gets blown in for about $50/yd, but on such a small quantity, I'd ask for $600 to allow for delivery or pickup charges.
  3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

you should be around $510, for 6 yards unless you need to create new edges then add more too it-it just takes longer. general rule, 1 yard per hour.
  4. The Green Barber

The Green Barber LawnSite Member

either I'm the worst sales man in the world or the economy in western new york sucks!!!! I priced the 6 yards at 300 because I wanted the customer and that individual said that's high and had a lower price. I guess I should just let it go.
  5. Bo614

Bo614 LawnSite Member

ok your paying at $176 for the mulch and you bid $300 and didnt get it? thats alot of work for that littel money anyways. Just move on and if you must come back in 3 months and talk to them again. i bet they will be up set with the work they got done. you get what you wpay for and you figure what do you get for what they are paying for. I also would try selling your service to the client. And selling your self. This is a true fact... people will buy from someone that is more expencive if they like the person and feel comfortable with them. i would try spending more time building a repor with the client and stop trying to under cut your self. Oh yea and go get a few books on selling it will help and alot of people in this business down know how to sell they just say...well ill do it for 10 bucks cheaper!:usflag:
  6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you should. Theres money to be made and it is not there.