1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching before it rains

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by MDLawnman, Apr 4, 2011.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

How long before a rain storm do you put down dyed mulch? 12 - 24 hrs? I've never had the problem before of the dye washing off, but have read about it here recently. Does the quality of the mulch make the difference?
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's going to rain on it eventually, so it shouldn't matter.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If there is a poblem with the dye... 12 hours or 12 minutes ain't going to matter, is it? Odd question...

Just tell the client dye is for suckers and that now you hear it is just washing into peoples' soil after a rain...
  4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Don't use that unnatural junk mulch and you won't have to worry about the color washing away.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

no matter how long you wait its still gonna rain sometime and the dye will fade
  6. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

ALL good points. Many thanks!
  7. Leo the Landscaper

Leo the Landscaper LawnSite Member

If you are getting a load delivered and dumped on concrete in a driveway or parking lot, time it for before a rainstorm to help clean the concrete! Otherwise does not matter.
  8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I mulch in the rain if I gotta finish a job. Haven't had a problem.
  9. johnnybow

johnnybow LawnSite Member

Ive used real fresh colored mulch that was real juicey. And if it rained on it , it would lighten alot. If you can give it a day to dry then you should be good
  10. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

I've done many mulch jobs in the rain too. Dirty work, but good "light" rain work.