Mulching bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mowblowgo, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mowblowgo

mowblowgo LawnSite Member

Do you PROS mulch bermuda grass?

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yes, always.

3. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

What do you mean by mulch?

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Sure do, use sharp blades.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think he is asking about not using a catcher and just letting the clippings compost on the lawn. If you have some humidity like in Alabama will probably work well. Here in Phx. there is not enough humidity in the summer, the grass wont break down or begin to decompose so you just end up with a heavy thatch layer. If you can mulch other varieties of turf in your area you can also mulch Bermuda.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Scalp it (catching is best method to avoid large build ups of thatch) early in the season, and mulch cut it about 2inches all year weekly during the summer and you will love the results. Its kills me to see some of these guys out here still cutting at over 3 inches. Those lawns wont green up until late may.

7. Az Gardener

I think he is asking about not using a catcher and just letting the clippings compost on the lawn. If you have some humidity like in Alabama will probably work well. Here in Phx. there is not enough humidity in the summer, the grass wont break down or begin to decompose so you just end up with a heavy thatch layer. If you can mulch other varieties of turf in your area you can also mulch Bermuda.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Dang, thought everyone here would know terms like "thatch" and "mulch".....

Look at eXmarks site, look at their mulch kits, and that'll help some of you to better understand mulching...it's much more than just not "catching"! The clippings are contained in chambers within the deck where they are cut repeatedly before being *driven* back into the turf.

That process doesn't create thatch at all. I'll leave you on your own to seek the correct definition of thatch.

Most authorities say to cut Bermuda to 1.5" in the southeast. Rough or uneven ground sometimes - heck, often! - dictates 2". Try not to go longer .

9. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I scalp and bag the dormant Bermuda in March and then mulch the rest of the season. I use mulch kits on my mowers. Works great.

I scalp at 1 1/4 - 1 1/2. I mow between 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 depending on terrain. I have a couple customers who insist on mowing high (3"). There is no convincing them otherwise.

10. Az Gardener

The marketing people at Exmark can explain all they want but the university people in AZ will tell you that when its 105 and 7% humidity those clippings are not going to decompose no matter how hard they are driven into the turf. So after a few weeks of this you will have thatch here in AZ. I do understand the terms.

We cut our Bermuda at less than 1" because most around here are more accustomed to a golf course type look. The question is from Cal. which will be more likely to have our blast furnace climate as opposed to your sauna. So while "mulching" may work for you it may or may not work for the fellow in Cal. He will have to find out for himself.