Mulching blade question???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobbyKnight, Sep 16, 2005.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but would it be better to run mulching blades rather than the standard blades that comes on my mower?

I have a JD 737 w/ high rise blades, and I have a few lawns I do that grow so quickly that I am always leaving more clippings than I would like to see.

What would you suggest? Stay w/ the standard high rise blade? Use mulching blades? Doubles? If I were to go to doubles, would that cause much more wear and tear on the mower?

For my own lawn, I cut it every 5-7 days at 3.5 or 3.75. It looks really nice, but the clippings drive me crazy. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Cut the lawn, Raise the deck a Quarter inch, then go over it again. This is called a double cut.

John

3. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

On my smaller lawns I have done this, but on my own, which is 4 acres, I don't really want to spend that much time and gas mowing over it again. So, besides going over it again, what else would be beneficial?

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You might have to cut sooner. Ive doubled up on 10 acres before :cry:

John

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Try meg-mos or doubles?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my experience with the issue...
    First off, if your mower is NOT streaking (streaking is when grass is left UNcut behind the machine), do not change blades because doing so may make matters worse before it makes them better.

On my OLD floatdeck, gators did better than high lifts but on both my fixed deck wb's, high lifts are the only solution as gators leave a TON of uncut grass and I have to go over everything at LEAST twice.

So, you might try gators but be prepared to switch back should things get worse rather than better.

Far as doubles, I would never do something so, well, how should I say it? It reminds me somewhat of shining up the old Wb by spraying and wiping it down with wd-40 :)