Mulching blades - discharge or not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bulldog's Lawn Care, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Bulldog's Lawn Care

Bulldog's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    I need a little advice. This is my first year officially in the biz. I am currently using a JD LX176 mower to do my accounts with. I use gator mulching blades on it. I love the way they cut! My question is this, should I continue to side discharge the clippings or should I close off my discharge chute and allow the clippings to fall that way. Unless the grass is really high, most of the time you don't see the clippings after a day or so. But if the grass is high, it doesn't look good! Of course I want to allow the clippings to remain on the lawn, to return all the good nutrients back to the soil or I wouldn't be using mulching blades.
    I wanted some of you more experienced guys' (and gals) advice. I think I do a real good job of cutting lawns but I know I can always learn more! I plan on upgrading next season to a ZTR and from what I have observed, most of the guys around here do not discharge when using those. Any advice on this subject, or any other subject, would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks a bunch.....

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If your customers are not complaining, you can mow faster discharging as compared to recycling. I'm not familiar with your JD, but if you can run doubles on it, two blades per spindle, that reduces clippings, at least in my experience it does.

Most of the time I mulch. For the crappier lawns I discharge.