Mulching Blades for 48" deck?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MorePower, Oct 15, 2001.

1. MorePower

MorePower LawnSite Member

This a second posting due to a lost thread.

I recently acquired a 1975 (when they made them out of real metal) Sears garden tractor (16HP Onan engine) with 48"deck and 46" plow. I cleaned the tractor up, replaced the battery, greased, changed engine oil and transaxal oil, cleaned gas tank & fuel filter, sharpened blades and adjusted carborator. The tractor now runs like new.

The problem I am having is that when I mow the grass it does a great job but it does not shread the leaves (I hate to rack).

Does anyone have any experience with mulching blades for a 48" deck (pros and cons)?

Any sources for mulching blades (3 x 16.25" blades)?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I answered your post before by saying that if I were you, I would measure your blade length and center hole size and go to mower shops or a Lesco dealer. I think there is one in Lyle or Naperville. If not there is one in East Dundee off of 72 on Rock Road. They have lots of different blades and sizes. They sell Gator mulching blades there.

What is the blade length and hole size? If you post it here, we can probably tell you what might fit it.

3. MorePower

MorePower LawnSite Member

Eric,

Thanks for your second reply, I couldn't retrieve you first reply due to a lost thread.

My blades are 16-3/8" long. A 1-1/4" hole is located in the center for aligning on the mandrel. There are two 1/2" holes 1-1/2" from center (one on each side) for the hex head bolts to fasten to the mandrel.

Is this a "standard" size blade?

4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i think gator has a blade for this app. but your dealer will have to do some homework to find them.. dont be surprised if this doesent help though, i think the problem may be low blade tip speed..... eric??

5. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Go to Sears.com and enter in the Part# off the old Blades see if you get a match worth a shot.:confused: