Mulching blades on Walker GHS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Dec 10, 2001.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I posted a similar question around 6 months ago. Seeing as we have a whole lot of new members since then I thought I'd ask
    again. Has anyone tried using a Gator or similar style blade on a
    Walker GHS? Does it increase hopper capacity thereby reducing
    dump cycles? Does it affect quality of cut on these mowers?

Any ideas appreciated. :)

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i use raptor mulching blades on mine, it reduces the size and amount of clippings and cuts great..

Beware of Gators i purchased some gators, luckily i rotated them before running them. they hit the deck and would have caused damage.

as with any blades though, rotate by hand first.

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I don't think we have Raptor blades available
    down here as yet. I'll ask around. I've found Gators available for
    the 42" deck but not my 48" deck. I always rotate mine by hand
    just to be sure. A little paranoia can't hurt. :D

4. captdevo

raptors and einsteins are sold by Stens both work well, i prefer the raptors...they seem to hold an edge longer

http://www.stens.com/

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I know a guy that runs the 42 mulching blades on top and 48 regular on the bottom with GHS. He sharpened the mulching blades on both sides and put them under the deck in an X patern. He states they work great for leaves.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I put Gators on my 48" Walker GHS and they rubbed the deck also. I took and ground a couple of the fins down a hair and they worked fine, except one of the fins ended breaking off while mowing (not becaused it rubbed though). By using mulching blades on the GHS will pack the crap out of your catch. There is a catalog that sells those blades (Landscaper Supply Co.). They are about $4 cheaper per blade compared to my dealer. I would like to try those Raptors that the captain is talking about. Hopes this helps.
    MATT

7. captdevo

42's on top, hmmm....never thought of that, i'll have to check it out.

i tried doubles on my 48" and re-timed the gearbox, it worked ok but i wasn't impressed. i was afraid if i ever hit something it would make a mess of things.

Dave

8. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

I agree that the gators are ok. Capt hit the nail on the head though with the risks of hitting things. You might consider holding off until the new heavy duty gear boxes come out later this year. Those things will be able to handle anything according to Walker. It may make trying out things a little safer.

9. captdevo

In fact they're already out.

the Von Ruden HD gearboxes are available now for th sd48" and ghs 48" factory exchange is around $300

10. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Yes they are out but limited availabilty in some areas. $280 on exchange or upgrade.
    $700 if you would like to just buy them to put all new on yourself. This will come complete with gearbox covers included.

Tests show that after mowing over a 1" solid steel pipe there was no damage done to any part of the gearboxes nor was there any leakage what so ever. They also come with full one year complete warranty. That is complete replacement even if a seal starts dripping.

These also an increase of blade speed on the new 56" Walker deck to 19,000 f/p/s. (about 2000 increase)

Available for 42,'s 48's, 54's and 56's.

I do not know if the warranty would cover the use of a "NON WALKER" blades, but that is what I was posting the information in regards too. These things are awesome and have the best warranty yet!