mulching blades with no kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dvmcmrhp52, Jul 8, 2003.

1. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Does anyone run mulching blades with an open chute and no mulch kit? I know someone who does, he says it throws smaller cuttings with less laying on the lawn when cutting heavier grass.
    comments?

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

When I pulled my mulch kit off of my Exmark this spring I left the wavy mulching blades on. I really liked the way they discharged the grass. but as soon as the grass slowed down the mulch kit went back on. I agree with your buddy it did chop up the grass blades a bit finer

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto.
    Mulch blades only do a limited amount better, but your not gaining anything by not having the mulch kit on are you?

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tried that with the lazer and turf tracer.

In my opinion, it does not do a very good job at all. The exmark mulching blades are made to be used with the mulching kit. There is no suction without the mulch kit on, and no lift with the blades and it does not cut well.
    You could use a gator type blade and side discharge.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Gators have no more lift than wavy mulchers! I tried using them to discharge or with the mulch baffles, either way I had stragglers that would not get sucked up to get cut. If you have the power and want smaller clippings discharging run doubles. Regular with gators on top or double regular lifts. Double regulars stripe like nobody's business! Reg/gators chop up clippings best though and take alittle less power. The double regular lifts have alot of airflow and take alot of power and they sometimes can leave little wads of grass (clumps I guess) but not in average conditions, and the stripes are worth it. But take it easy on the clutch! (engage and disengage at low throttle)

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Thanks for the comments.I am not looking to mulch as I typically don't mulch my lawns just wanted to get finer cuttings if possible.

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't believe you are using a exmark with the exmark mulching blades, or a exmark with the gators, thats what I was talking about. The gators have more lift than the wavy mulching blades do on mine.